First off, Los Angeles is massive, & finding cool things to do for the tourist or “not for tourist” (NFT) types is altogether relative to the person traveling. I mean I can recommend spots that I like to go to, or favorite places to stop for a bite to eat, or where to wine and dine the night away. I have a travel book called Not For Tourists Los Angeles. I think it is one of the best things to have in my car.
Depending on what you wanna spend your money on, things can get pricey, or you can choose to just dip into some local dives that are sweet places to wet your whistle. There’s always the physical location of historic spots, or chasing down the celebrities either in their homes, graves or their favorite spots.
Here is a list of my favorite places to go in Los Angeles
- The J.P. Ghetty Museum – Check out the gardens. Grab a bottle of wine. Walk around and become an art critique. Fake Accents are required to boost up the fun factor!
- Griffith Observatory & Griffith Park – There is a hike that will take you to a pretty striking view in back of the Observatory; and there is a hidden route that will take you to the back fence of the Greek Amphitheater. If there is a show playing, you can sneak your way past to the benches made out of fallen trees and hang out with the others who are catching a free show. Often times, I’ve had more fun here at this sneaky Zero Price Tag location than actually inside the Greek.
- LACMA – just go. you might learn something.
- The Wiltern Theatre
- Greek Theatre
- The Comedy Store
- 7 Grande – so much really good whiskey, you’ll piss yourself
- Te’kila Hollywood – 150+ tasting tequilas . . . mmm
- The Woods – this place is like modern day saloon
- Villains Tavern
- R Bar – Korea Town
- Kibitz Room at Canter’s – it’s cozy, but it’s a great place to catch live music
- The Emerson Theatre – bring a date, or pick one up. This place is TITS
- Saffron & Rose Ice Cream – Rose Hips Ice Cream – A MUST for ice cream lovers
- Milk – desserts
- Father’s Office – always rated the best burger
- Guelaguetza Restaurante – Authentic Oaxacan Molé
- Pink’s Hot Dogs
- Umami Burger
- The Bazaar by Jose Andres – this one is spendy, but it is so creative the things they do with the food. This is like food magic! Order one of the Nitrogen drinks just for kicks.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes – Compare these with Scratch.
- Dodger Stadium
- Staples Center
- Los Angeles Memorial Colosseum
Markets and Squares
- Olvera Street
- Grand Central Market
- China Town
- 4th Street Promenade
- Farmer’s Market
- The Last Bookstore
- Bait – vinyl toys – huge collection of figurines, toys, apparel.
- Gold Bug
- Daiso Japan
- I’m going to just go ahead and put the Los Angeles Public Library here. GO! With more than six million volumes, it is one of the largest publicly funded library systems in the world. And it is downtown! it boggles the mind. I could stay here for hours just reading.
- Rodeo Drive
– url: bit.ly/1Bkoa9h << click on the link for pictures and further explanation.
- THE GETAWAY: LEO CARRILLO STATE BEACH
- THE HOPELESS ROMANTIC: EL MATADOR BEACH
- THE SURF SPOT: MALIBU SURFRIDER BEACH
- THE CLASSIC STRETCH OF SAND: SANTA MONICA BEACH
- THE PEOPLE WATCHER: VENICE BEACH
- MANHATTAN BEACH
- HERMOSA BEACH
- CABRILLO BEACH